The Kiestwood area was built between 1950 and 1965. Set among rolling hills and wooded lots, new upscale homes were constructed to meet the needs of post-war families with good jobs and for the up-and-coming managers and executives who worked at nearby defense plants here in Oak Cliff, as well as in Grand Prairie and Fort Worth. The structures were a mix of builder houses (principally Fox and Jacobs) and custom built contemporaries.
The original area was made up of the Kiestwood Estates and Southwood Estates subdivisions. Kiest Park, good schools, convenient highway access, shopping in areas like Wynnewood Village, Jefferson Boulevard, the Hampton-Illinois area, and Red Bird Airport (today known as Dallas Executive Airport) provided the amenities any new homeowner would have wanted.
Architectural details like wrought iron and iron lace trimmed porches, ceramic tiled baths, formal living areas, dens with knotty pine paneling and fireplaces, and large open yards are typical here. Some of the first Dallas area homes that included master bedrooms with walk-in closets, vanities, and dressing room built-ins were built in areas like Kiestwood. These features set this area’s homes apart from most of the other upper-middle class neighborhoods.
Today, the Kiestwood Historical Homeowners Association (KHHA) community is bounded by Kiest Boulevard and Southwood Drive to the north and south respectively and by Cedarhurst Drive and Hampton Road to the west and east respectively. The 400+ homes contained within these boundaries represent the largest, intact concentration of Mid-Century (1950’s) ranch styled structures in Dallas. Of special note are the contemporary / modern and Dilbeck-inspired styles found here. This mix of houses all blend to form one of the finest surviving style examples that take us back to the idyllic settings and times of "Leave It to Beaver" and "Father Knows Best".